Friday, August 10, 2012

What's on your Home Screen Dana?

Today I'm happy to feature Dana Miller of the lovely blog House Tweaking for "What's on your home screen?"


If you haven't been to her site, you absolutely must!  She and her husband (HH- Handy Hubby as she affectionately calls him) are renovating and designing their home (which they call the Underdog) themselves, and they are doing an excellent job.  When I say renovate, I don't mean replacing a few cabinets here and there, I mean a full on gut.

So, Dana, what's on your home screen?

images by Dana Miller

Phone//  iPhone 3G. Up until last year, I had a dinky, outdated flip phone. I thought it was fine but HH encouraged me to upgrade to a smart phone. Now, I don't know how I ever lived without one!
Color//  I have no idea what color my actual phone is. It's always in a white protective Case-mate case to protect it when I drop it. Which happens a lot.

Apps//
Messages - I'm not a big texter but texting is more convenient for me than talking on the phone. I'm not always able to answer every call because I'm feeding Mabrey, changing her diaper, putting her to sleep or I'm with the boys. I'm more apt to reply to a text than a phone call.

Weather - I like to know how to dress my kids and if the weather will allow us to go to the park or on a walk. It's also nice to know if it'll be raining or not so we can haul house-related stuff around in HH's truck.

MyRadar - Kind of like the weather app but more exact. If it looks like it's going to storm and we're on a walk, I like to know how much time we have before it hits!

Alarm clock - This is strictly for HH. Mabrey is my alarm clock. HH uses this app during the week to get up on time for work. I've promised to buy him a real alarm clock when I get our bedroom in order.

Instagram - It's my journal. With more pics and less words. Love it!

Twitter - I don't tweet a lot but I do like to read what everyone else in the design world is up to at any given moment.

Facebook - Total time waster. I'm not on FB all that much. Usually, just to link to my blog posts or check up on my friends and family that I haven't seen in a while.

Houzz - My in-phone decor glossy when I'm waiting at the doctor's office or watching my kids at gymnastics. Lots of inspiration! I actually contribute Guest Picks ideabooks on a monthly basis for Houzz.

Pinterest - Seriously. Doesn't everyone have this app on their home screen now? Portable pinning. Awesome.

Utilities - I mainly use the calculator here to balance my checkbook. If it's not balanced to the penny, it drives me bonkers!

Notes - I have lists of things I'm looking for for the house. Everything from paint colors to furniture to curtain rods. I have measurements of windows and other applicable house-related stuff here too so I'll know if a rug/table/chair is the right size. This is where I kept our boy and girl baby names lists as well. There's probably a more specific app for all this but it works for me.

Maps - We've only been living in the Underdog for a few months, so I'm still learning my way around. I get anxious when I don't know where I'm going. The real time GPS of this app helps.

Kids games - Because sometimes I'm that mom who lets her kids play Angry Birds or Early Bird just so they will be quiet for a few minutes. I don't allow it on a regular basis. Maybe once a week.

Phone - We haven't had a land line in 2+ years. I don't miss it at all.

Mail - I love being able to read and reply to emails on the go. My inbox can get pretty crazy!

Safari - Not just for web surfing. I use it to look up phone numbers for stores, restaurants, doctors, etc. Again, there's probably a more specific app for finding phone numbers but this works.

iPod - Not sure why I have this app on my home screen. I've never used it. Taking it off now!

Thank you for sharing, Dana!


If you would like to be featured on "What's on your Home Screen?", send me an email at TheMyers08{at}gmail{dot}com to get submission details.

You guys have a great weekend, and don't forget to check out House Tweaking for inspiration galore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!