Yes, you read that right...four years. Oops. Well I actually had been working on it off and on over these years, but didn't finish until last week. When you see what it is you're going to think I'm a serious slacker because it's something that could have been completed over a weekend.
Back in 2008 when Simon and I were living in our last apartment, I came home and saw two bar stools sitting in the living room. I asked him what the deal was and he said that someone had placed them by the dumpster.
At first I though "Ew", then I thought "Upcycle". Initially I wanted to stain the legs a light wood color and reupholster the cushions, but after a failed attempt (trying to strip off all of that black was virtually impossible) I ended up painting the legs white. I also bought a yellow and gray fabric, but since I had waited so long to reupholster I didn't want to use that fabric anymore. I bought a blue and goldish fabric instead.
Reupholstering. Well, this was my first attempt. I attempted some time last year and it looked horrible. I didn't even try to finish this one, haha!
At that point I was tempted to trash the stools and act like I never knew them, but I kept them. While working on the dining room updates I decided to give these one last shot. Again, my reupholstering skills could use some work...okay, lots. This is the process and how they turned out.
For the corners, I did a little tuck and fold to try to make the creases universal. Working on a circle is difficult :-\
Not too bad. I'm an advocate for extra seating!
So there you have it; all of the dining room updates for now. I'm still loving the dark walls, so that's a good sign!