Monday, February 28, 2011

The Long and {not so} Short of it

Hello good people! Hope all is well. Things around here are starting to pick up...both business wise and interior design wise. Stay tuned for some exciting additions to my shop this spring!

Drapes...it was something that I had been wanting to add to our great room for a year now. last winter was cold, and with nothing but paper shaded to keep the heat in, we were definitely looking to get them up as quick as possible. Fast forward to the following winter, and it's even more cold! Still no drapes! Reason? I'm indecisive...if you didn't know. Well let me rephrase...I'm a decisive person in training. To make a long story short, I decided to make my own drapes because I was having no luck finding the length that I needed for a decent price and a fabric that I liked. Went to the fabric store, and everything happened to be $3.99 a yard that day {score!}. Found a fabric that I liked and purchased it after consulting via text message/picture message with Simon. The fabric sat around for a good month before I cut it into the four panels needed. Another three weeks went by before we actually started putting them together. Thanks to a tutorial from the wonderful couple of Young House Love, we used heavy duty hem tape for the edges since we don't know how to sew {yet}. Okay, okay, enough talking already. Here we go:


The fabric rolled up all nice and tight




Our work area {the great room floor}


Good old trusty iron




Great Room windows before {even before we moved in!}


And after




Another before {in which we were living this time}




The plan is to keep the walls the neutral color that they are and to add color with art work, possibly wall decals, and a nice mirror {more on that mirror later...}. What I really love now is a nice golden glow that greets me every morning when I open my bedroom door to go downstairs!

We decided to stick with neutral colored panels..well...because...who really wants to go through all of that again? We plan to make more curtains for the house, but not that length! It was a wonderful and rewarding experience though, I must admit.

Any DIY projects underway around your way?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those windows are HUGE! The curtains look amazing ... good job on scoring fabric for such a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully we will get fabric at that price for the the next pair that we make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Mother30.3.11

    Very impressed, wonder where you got that talent from? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!