Friday, November 18, 2011

Challenging Space- Above the Kitchen Cabinets

I'm still in the process of decorating my kitchen.  It has been a while since something was done in there, but I've actively been looking for the perfect light fixture (this could have something to do with the 2/3 fluorescent lights blowing out and knowing that the third one is on its way).  I have also been a little puzzled with what to do with the space above the cabinets.  You know, that awkward area between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling.  Our kitchen for example:


I don't want plants, beer bottles or wine bottles displayed there, so what other clean, clever, modern options do I have?

Here are a few ideas that I came across:

Layering in a corner                               
I love the way these surprise elements add interest to the kitchen and draw your eyes up.  I also enjoy the fact that this area isn't too busy; it's very clean and chic.


Add windows                                                                       
This is a great way to get more natural light flowing through your house, and definitely adds interest to the kitchen (if it's within your budget!).


Add a stencil/wallpaper to the top of the wall                            
This will add visual interest as well, and you will be able to keep the top of the cabinets bare.


Upshine!                                                                                  
Add some under-counter lighting to the tops of the cabinets so that the light will shine up.  This will also give the room more dimension.


Cute plates                                                          
I love the look of this.  It's kind of an updated version of adding antique plates to the tops.  You can also choose plates with designs that compliment the theme of your home.


credits 1 2 3 4 5

Do you all have this space in your home?  If so, how do you decorate it, or do you just keep it empty?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that is a super challenging space to decorate! I love the look of "collections" above cabinets. I've seen globes, which was awesome and colorful. My mom actually displays her teapots above her cabinets and it looks great too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!