Monday, December 12, 2011

Foodie: Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese

If you read the post from this morning, you know that we had a little family gathering at our house this past Saturday.  I really enjoy having company because I get to make snacks!  I love snacks.  One of my favorite things to make is Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese.  I was first introduced to this last year by a friend of mine that purchased some at the Farmers Market (freshly made, not pre made and mass produced).  What I loved about it were the chunks of smoked salmon in each bite.  So I did what any resourceful woman would do...I looked at the ingredients on the label and made it myself.  Now I'm going to share it with you!

Please note, I do not measure when I make this, so I'm going to give approximate measurements.  Really you can just make it to taste like I do since we all like different things.  So here we go!


Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese

Ingredients
1 4oz pack of smoked salmon
1 12oz tub of cream cheese (I use whipped because it's easier to mix)
1/8 cup of chopped red onion
2 tablespoons of Capers
2 tablespoons of chopped green onions
1 tablespoon of creamy horseradish




Directions
1. Cut up the smoked salmon to the size of your liking.
2. Pop a couple of pieces into your mouth because it's delicious!


3. Chop up the red and green onions.



4. Rough chop the capers (you don't want them cut too small because they should be a little chunky in the mix).  The image below doesn't show them cut, but it shouldn't look too much different from them being whole.


5. Add the cream cheese and all of these ingredients to a bowl suitable for mixing.  Add the horseradish and a dash of caper juice, then mix everything together.


6. Spread the mixture onto a bagel, toast, bagel chips, pita bread...whatever you desire.  I spread mine onto bagel chips this time.

Voila!



These are sure to be a hit at a party, and it's so easy to make.  No oven required!  As I said, you can (and should) adjust the measurements to your liking.

As an aside, I saw a way to grow green onions indefinitely on Pinterest by cutting down to the white of the onion then placing it into water, roots down.  I must say, I placed mine in water on Saturday evening, and by the time everyone left for the night they had already started growing.  Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Oooo I have some fresh salmon sitting in our fridge and I was trying to figure out what to do with it!! NOW I know! And my husband thanks you in advance!! Thanks so much for linking up today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!