With that being said, I have some exciting home projects lined up that I'm looking forward to starting (and sharing), but first Simon and I will be going on vacation soon and it will be a road trip. I wanted to share a few of my road trip essentials...i.e. things that keep me sane in a car for hours at a time. I'm not a fan of being in a car for more than four hours, so I get a little stir crazy after then. I'm usually a passenger for the majority of the trip because Simon enjoys driving. To keep myself calm and entertained, here are a few things that I bring with me-
credits 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and 7 8 9 10
1. My phone (obviously)- Yes it's great for talking and texting on the road (and playing Candy Crush), but I have loads of music and can also listen to Pandora or Sirius XM Satellite Radio for a wide variety of music options.
2. Phone Charger- Don't want the battery to die two hours into the trip.
3. Motion sickness pills- I get an awful headache when I try to read, write or draw in a moving vehicle. In order for me to do any of these, I take these pills. They tend to make me drowsy which is fine and leads me to...
4. My pillow from home- An absolute necessity. Trying to sleep comfortably in a car in an upright position is nearly impossible without a pillow to take the strain off of my neck. Also, if for some reason the hotel pillows aren't as comfortable, I have my own pillow to fall back on.
5. Reading materials- A magazine or book is great after waking up from my motion sickness pill nap. Simon and I purchased a book of questions a few years back, so I read the questions and we answer them. It's interesting what you learn about your partner that you may not have known from these kinds of books.
6. Snacks and drinks- A HUGE must. We usually pack our cooler with water bottles (of course a few sparkling ones are thrown in there), a flavored beverage whether it's Jones Soda or San Pellegrino Limonata, sandwich ingredients (usually some kind of deli meat from the deli counter and a gourmet cheese to make the sandwiches a little more special) and fruit. As far as dry snacks, we usually pack Kettle chips, nuts, and some kind of healthier option of a dessert.
7. Comfortable clothes- Since we're in the car for hours at a time, I always wear comfortable clothing. This usually consists of loose shorts, a tank top, flip flops and sunnies. I still want to look cute since I like taking pictures along the way...
8. My camera- It's a way to flex my creative muscles in a moving vehicle (a design challenge for sure!). I also love state welcome signs and try to get a picture of them each time we enter a new state. I take pictures with my cell phone as well so that I can post to my Instagram for you fine people :)
9. Gum- After those naps I want to freshen my breath if we're not near a rest stop.
10. CDs- Even though I have music on my phone, there are still a few CDs that we like to listen to along the way (Radiohead, Thom Yorke and Outkast to name a few).
So there it is, the things that keep me sane on a road trip. What about you all? What are your road trip necessities? I would love some more ideas!