Sunday, April 24, 2011

Such is Life

Mirrors I tell ya. Can't live with 'em...couldn't get ready in the morning without 'em. So when I came across this beautiful mirror at my local Habitat Restore, I snatched it up quickly...especially because of the $24.99 price tag (down from $39.99).


I had the perfect spot for it, right above the buffet in the dining room. After all, the only thing that is hanging there now since the Christmas decor came down is a lonely hook which once held a wreath.
I loved the form of this mirror, and it was large enough to fit where I wanted it. I was debating on whether to spray paint it with the mirror look spray paint or to keep it simple, white. I decided on white, and after a few weeks of leisure decided to buy the paint. A few more weeks of leisure and I got started on my project.

This mirror was rather old, and I am funny about weird smells coming from old things. So I pulled out my handy-dandy bleach water mixture, some gloves and a sponge and got started cleaning the thing off. During the cleaning process I noticed this:

And this:

Um, what's that? Okay, well that must mean that something seeped into the essence of the mirror. The most logical thing to do is take it apart and spray more bleach/water to get rid of the something, right? So I began disassembling and cleaning...



Apparently that "something" was not as easy to remove as I thought. Unfortunately I had reached my capacity with this project, so I reassembled everything and got rid of it. Oh well, such is life! This only means to me that there is a better mirror out there somewhere. The good news is that I have a fresh bottle of white gloss spray paint, so who knows what may happen in the next few days!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is the worst, but I wouldn't have dealt with it either. Some things are just not worth saving, sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree! It should be fun searching for a new mirror though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I hate that! I did that once with a mirror I thought would be perfect in my living room... turned out to look absolutely horrible & warped after I was finished with it and I was so frustrated after spending so much time on it that I chucked it. Good luck finding one that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joys of DIY, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!