Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Lazy Green Thumb

I trust everyone is winding down the Christmas prep and getting ready to enjoy their time off of work and on with loved ones!  I'm excited to see what Santa is bringing me this year, and I'm excited to see the reactions to the gifts that I'm giving to loved ones!

When I was younger we had a garden in our backyard.  The concept was so neat to me.  Plant a seed, give it a little TLC, watch it grown, then eat it!  Free food...that's probably one of the best parts.  Now that I have a backyard I want a garden.  We have the perfect spot for it, I just have to do some research on gardening.  So in the meantime, as I was browsing pinterest (surprise, surprise) I came across a way to grown green onions indefinitely.  It looked fairly simple, so I wanted to give it a try.

Of course I pinned this about two months ago and I'm just getting around to doing it.  When I made the smoked salmon cream cheese I needed to buy some green onions, so it was the perfect time to try this out.

I cut them down to the white and placed them in water in the afternoon and by the night time they had already started growing!  I tried to take pictures of their progress every day but missed a few days in between.  Even so, you can see how quickly these grow.

12/11 (This was the first day.  I didn't take a picture when I first cut them and they had already started growing within a few hours...so imagine that there is a picture before this one showing the onion at the white cut line)


12/14

12/15 (I added a few more onions)


12/16

12/18


12/19

12/21 (they were growing so much that I had to transfer them to a jar!)


They have almost been growing for two weeks now and I'm amazed at how quickly they grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Myers Maison!